The Fourth Trimester


If you are anything like me as a new mom, you have had moments of being overwhelmed by conflicting information on how to handle your child the first few months. There are some books that preach starting a routine and that it is okay to cry it out. There are some that are some people that say you can't spoil your baby and others say differently. After reading a book last night called "The Happiest Baby On The Block" I was very intrigued by this concept of the Fourth Trimester which is probably not a new concept but it was the first I had heard it described this way. Dr. Harvey Karp states that it takes babies an additional three months just to 'wake up' to life. This is called the Fourth Trimester and during this time you should treat your baby like he/she is still in the womb. Holding and calming the baby as much as possible and doing everything you can to ease their crys. This is the first time I have heard a doctor say that a baby crying a little bit is not good for them. They are in the building trust phase and they don't need to cry to develop a good healthy set of lungs.

After discovering that there really is a 'waking up' point for babies - I do like the idea of treating the first few months like another trimester. It seems to me that this is really the most important one of all.

I have litterally read all I could about different viewpoints on sleeping habits/schedules/etc... This is what I have come up with ~ "Every parent will eventually find their own way of doing things for their child" Some will have the need to let the baby cry themselves to sleep once in awhile, some will soothe every chance they get and some will have a happy medium. What I know to be true at this point is that you can't have too high of expectations right of the bat. Each day gets easier and your instincts are always correct.

I have a feeling that we as new moms will feel another 'rebirth' after the fourth month. Our lives will slowly wake up again too!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am kind of a new mom--my first-born son is now 2 1/2 yrs old and my little boy now nine months old. I know the feeling! :)
Hipmamablog.com

The Happiest Baby, Inc. said...

Dear "Crib Notes":

Happy New Year! Thank you for mentioning Dr. Karp's book "The Happiest Baby on the Block". I thought you might also find it useful to watch his DVD "The Happiest Baby on the Block."

Dr. Karp recommends watching the DVD first, and then reading the book. The best way to learn Dr. Karp’s specific techniques is by watching how it’s done. Once the techniques have been mastered, the book can give important additional information. The DVD is therefore the best way to be introduced to Dr. Karp’s methods and learn how to do the 5 S’s exactly right. Most new moms find this visual approach a much simpler and faster way to learn Dr. Karp’s great techniques. Dads and other caregivers love watching this very “hands-on” DVD too!

As a new parent, you will find that a key element to helping your baby sleep longer and better is by using strong white noise every night. Dr. Karp says to use white noise, like our Super Soothing Sleep Sounds CD, all night to help increase your baby's sleep by at least an additional 1-3 hours a night! The CD needs to be played as loudly as a shower sound all night; and it can be used in the car and on trips.

For more information, or to purchase products, please visit www.thehappiestbaby.com.

I hope you have a healthy and happy 2008!

Best wishes,
Laila

The Happiest Baby, Inc.
12300 Wilshire Blvd. Ste. 320
Los Angeles CA 90025
Tel: 310-207-1111
Fax: 310-207-1221

Susan said...

I haven't read "Happiest Baby" but I was a big fan of "Baby Whisperer." I do think the fourth trimester concept makes a lot of sense. It does seem like the baby is not quite ready to full-out real-world living when she's born. It takes a few months to get her acclimated to all the sights and sounds. I also think every parent and every child need to find their own unique way of dealing. It's different for everyone.

Susan at Working Moms Against Guilt