It's a 'man' thing...

As much as I thought that parenthood created a club and bond between all 'moms' (see first blog), I have now been proven otherwise. My husband and I went to Panera on Sunday. We are still learning the ropes of how to get out of the house with a little one. It is very new to us and we are not quite comfortable yet being in public ~ "What if he cries the whole time?" "Where will we feed him?" "How do we change him?" "The carrier is heavy, the stroller is awkward and he is growing out of his sling?" "How will we warm up his bottle when it's time?" and the list still goes on....

Panera seemed like a family friendly option for lunch, even though we both wanted something different - we decided this was a good baby place. We ordered, found a quiet table in the back and prayed he would not start screaming ~ for at least a few minutes. We looked so frazzled, and very tired. If you would have walked by our table - you may have laughed at the lack of conversation taking place. It was more of lets scarf down this food quickly because there is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode any minute.

As I sat there quietly, I realized in a matter of twenty minutes my husband got two different head nods from two different dads walking by our table. I started to get tickled thinking how there is an underlying appreciation between fathers. They both had families - and none of them knew each other. Yet it was the typcial nod of the head men do to say "hey man, been there done that - and I get it" .

These nods made me realize that although men are not all that great at communicating - this little gesture of the head said everything ~ It is the same type of club that we as mothers have, but there is no telling of stories, or exhausting the obvious. It's their own 'man club'...

No comments: