"Pass The Baby Please"


We've learned the hard way...
BABIES DON'T LIKE TO BE PASSED AROUND

It is difficult on babies to go from person to person to be held. Our newborn can take about 1 or 2 different people holding him without going into a complete meltdown. I have a few other new mom friends that have been discussing the dreaded 'passing of the baby' with me over the holidays. The anxiety that comes with being a new mom seems to only become magnified over the holidays. It is not that we don't get excited to share this beautiful day with our families, yet now that we have a child everything becomes so much more complicated. It is completely understandable to look at a newborn and want desperately to hold them and love on them, especially when seeing them for the very first time. Therefore, I struggle with our doctors suggestion of letting only immediate family hold the baby due to germs & cold and flu season, not to mention the over-stimulation that happens when passing around. Although, in the long run we are the ones that are left with the consequences when it's all said and done. I have tried to think of a million ways to say "I'm sorry you can't hold him right now" while sounding sincere and not hurting anyone's feelings. Any thoughts out there?

My other mom friends have reminded me that we, as parents, are the only advocate this child has in their life. We need to speak up for him in order to keep him safe and comfortable. Therefore, I will do my best this holiday season to find nice ways to say "Please don't pass the baby!" even if that makes me the bad guy in the end... Wish me luck!!!

No comments: